Roasted Squash with Lentils, Baby Kale & Orange Tahini Dressing
Bursting with colour thanks to the contrast between the orange of the butternut squash and the deep greens from the kale and lentils, this is a flavoursome dish that’s sure to be a hit with everyone. The orange tahini dressing adds a sweet yet savoury taste, whilst the roasted squash brings in heartiness to the dish.
This recipe serves two, taking 40 minutes to prepare and cook – perfect for a date night if you’re looking to impress! You could also use this as a side dish to wow dinner party guests, adding that something extra to your group meal.
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees (fan oven).
- Cut butternut squash into batons and slice the red onion into wedges.
- Zest half of the orange, crush the garlic cloves and finely chop the parsley.
- Add the sliced butternut squash and onion to a bowl with 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil, 1 crushed clove of garlic, the zest of half an orange, 1 tbsp of chopped parsley, salt, pepper and chili flakes to taste. (If you’re not a fan of spice, omit the chili flakes!)
- Toss through to coat the ingredients.
- Place the coated butternut squash and onions onto a lined baking tray, and then put it into the oven for 30 minutes or until golden and soft.
- In a new bowl, whisk 60ml of tahini with 20ml of orange juice, 1 crushed clove of garlic, ½ tsp of soy sauce or tamari, and 1 tsp of maple syrup. Gradually add 50ml of water until it gets to a runny consistency.
- Once cooked, remove the squash and red onion from the oven.
- Cook the puy lentils according to the instructions on the packet, then mix them in a bowl with 10g of capers, 1 tbsp of olive oil and stir through the baby kale.
- Divide the lentils and greens between two places and top with the butternut squash and red onion.
- Grate the remaining orange zest, and top with 2 tsbp of chopped parsley.
- Drizzle the orange tahini dressing on top or serve on the side if preferred.