How you choose to live your everyday life can have an effect on the world around you.
That doesn’t mean you need to change your whole lifestyle, but simply that making better everyday choices can help to make a difference when it comes to reducing household waste.
Not only that but making those changes yourself can help to influence your close family and friends – starting small can create a big knock-on effect. The climate crisis won’t be solved by any one person, we need to come together.
Looking at household waste is something that’s easy to start with, and some of the main areas include your kitchen and bathroom, alongside other simple swaps.
Here’s a look at 12 small changes we can make to help reduce waste!
- Get rid of the plastics. It can be difficult to buy things plastic free when shopping in your everyday supermarket, but every little piece of plastic avoided helps! Whether you’re avoiding plastic in supermarkets, or actively going to a reuse and refill shop. There are lots of online options for direct delivery too.
- Avoid food waste by turning leftovers into lunches or even by sharing produce with neighbours. Many meals can even be frozen, ready to be eaten at a later date.
- Did you know you could also freeze fresh herbs to make them last longer? Ideal for those recipes where you only need a small amount.
- Swap your teabags to loose leaf, or look for brands that use plastic-free tea bags. To reduce waste even further, only boil the amount of water you need when making a brew!
- Make your own kitchen cleaning products. It’s as simple as grabbing some vinegar and bicarbonate soda – clean your house without all the added chemicals!
- Turn off the tap when you brush your teeth to save water, and you can even install an eco-shower head that uses less water.
- Include reusable items in your routine, such as non-disposable razors, reusable menstrual products and reusable alternatives to cotton pads and face wipes.
- Buy second-hand furniture or upcycle your own. This is an easy way to give an older item a good refresh!
- Put up thicker curtains to help retain heat and switch off the radiator to its lowest setting in rooms you aren’t using.
- Wash clothes in cold water and dry them on the washing line when you can. If it’s raining outside, opt for a clothes horse by the radiator!
- Save money and energy by turning down the thermostat a few degrees and wearing an extra layer instead!
- Switching to a renewable energy provider can make a huge difference. Research carefully to avoid getting caught up with companies that are greenwashing. Read more here!